Sticky Date Pudding
Winter is around the corner in the Southern Hemisphere and a warm sticky date pudding is the perfect companion on a cold winter's night. Having said that, it is nice to have no matter what climate or season you are in. If you have guests who arrived unannounced or if you're in the mood to satisfy your sweet cravings this easy-to-make pudding is your answer because it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to make. This recipe was given to me by my friend Helen (thanks girl!) and I'd love to share it with you.
Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
What you'll need:
- a 6-hole muffin tin pan
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 130 gm butter, 30 gm for the pudding mixture and 100 gm for the butterscotch sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar (or brown sugar, according to your preference)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ginger (optional)
Directions to make the puddings:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Lightly grease the muffin tin pan or if you prefer, line each muffin hole with a piece of baking paper for easy removal of the puddings later.
2. Combine dates, ginger and water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add bicarbonate soda. Mix it well and then drain the water from the mixture.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg. Then sift and fold in the flour*. Add the date mixture. Pour the pudding mixture into the muffin tin pan.
4. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the knife comes out clean when inserted. If you didn't line the muffin tin pan with baking paper do not remove puddings until they have cooled down.
*Sifting is optional but I usually do it to make the texture softer and lighter.
Directions to make the butterscotch sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan over low heat.
2. Stir until sugar and butter have dissolved. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
When you're ready to serve reheat the puddings in the microwave for 30 seconds and then pour the sauce all over them. You may serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.